Sunday, December 26, 2010

Final Reflection: The Future of Distance Learning

Distance Learning has come a long way over the past 160 years. From correspondence study to courses on the World Wide Web, distance learning is an ever evolving phenomenon. This is evidence that distance learning, although slowly is gaining acceptance all over.

I think that the perceptions of distance learning in the next 5-10 years will be positive ones. I don’t see distance learning taking the place of traditional face 2 face classes, but I do see it being more widely accepted by the masses. As new technologies are created, improved, and more readily available, people will be more inclined to take advantage of distance learning. According to Dr. Siemens (2010), acceptance of distance of learning will be fueled by an increase of online communications, practical experience with new tools, the ability to communicate with diverse and global groups, and comfort with online discourse.

As an instructional designer I can be a positive force in improvement in the field of distance education by staying up to date on the currents events in the instructional design field and continuing to build my skills. I can also continue to design effective and interactive learning modules. In addition, I can help people to become computer literate so that they are able to use the minimum technologies that are involved in distance education.

I can be a proponent for improving societal perceptions by educating the public on the pros of distance learning by giving them positive examples from a student perspective and from an instructional designer perspective. I will inform them that online degree programs can provide one with a quality education just as much as a traditional program. Society should also be taught how to look for quality accredited distance learning programs. In addition, encourage institutions to take more pride in their distance learning courses and to promote them more.

References
Siemens, G. (2010). The Future of Distance Education. Retrieved from http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=4603379&Survey=1&47=6354370&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=1&bhcp=1&BrswrOK=1&PrevRef=http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn%3FCourseID%3D4603379%26Survey%3D1%2647%3D6354370%26ClientNodeID%3D984650%26coursenav%3D1&submit1=Continue

2 comments:

  1. Hi Yolanda! Just want you to know that, even though we're in different groups this semester, I am subscribed to your blog and looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Yolanda! I wanted to let you know that I am following your blog. I am excited to share ideas and opinions.

    ReplyDelete